Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Bowl of Rocky Road Can Buy Some Good Therapy

Last night, Best Friend and I sat down to a big bowl of Rocky Road, my favorite zero-degree thinking fuel. Ice cream has moods too, just like people: Coffee is pensive, Birthday Cake is nostalgically silly, Peanut Butter is good natured and gregarious...and Rocky Road is for complaining. Not only is it chocolate, the best food therapy that dining hall food points can buy, but there's also all those hard crunchy nuts just waiting to be pulverized with feminine rage.

The topic was, of course, Boyfriend's antics. Usually my Get Angry at Boyfriend schedule looks something like this:

Step One: Get angry at Boyfriend for something stupid he did/did not do.
Step Two: Rant to myself.
Step Three: Organize rantings into an Anti-Boyfriend Rage Soliloquy
Step Four: Recite ABRS to various uninterested girlfriends and collect their half-baked feedback.
Step Five: Take feedback to Best Friend, who throws all the garbage feedback away, calms me down, shows me the big picture, and proposes a new Boyfriend Amnesty Plan.

Best Friend, true to form, was able to calm me down. She pointed out that setting an ultimatum, like Gal Pal 1 had suggested, or dumping him without talking to him, like Gal Pal 2 had suggested, were both unnecessary. She said that she thought our problem was that we weren't communicating well - that is, that Boyfriend was just a terrible communicator in general. She said that she didn't think I should talk to him about how I wasn't getting what I wanted out of the relationship (at least not the messy details, like not rushing over to see me the second his 747's wheels slapped the tarmac) but focus on the communication issue.

I thought long and hard about her advice, which usually is pretty spot on. In fact, I began to believe her a little bit. I was prepared to be fair, and ignore the things that had been bothering me before.

Then today, I thought about it some more. And even though we had worked out a deeply analyzed reason to why I was unhappy, and the ways I should fix it....

Nope. I'm pretty much just pissed at him for not missing me enough. I guess everything can't be solved by in-depth analysis.

PS: Boyfriend saw me last night. He stood and stared at me while I was in line to get food, with that little sad-puppy-caught-in-the-rain look that just melts my heart. It's as if he's saying "look how adorable I am...so cute...PLEEEEASE take me back!"

I tried so hard to glare...but I couldn't help smiling. Darn those puppy eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home